Follow @dailyspotnews Instagram Sport News: Pique questions Real Madrid penalty decision

Monday 27 October 2014

Pique questions Real Madrid penalty decision

Pique questions Real Madrid penalty decision
The Spain international feels the game could have ended differently had Barcelona gone 2-0 up and called for clarification after being penalised for handball

Gerard Pique has suggested Real Madrid were fortunate to be awarded a penalty in their 3-1 Clasico win at the Santiago Bernabeu on Saturday.

Neymar gifted the away side an early lead with a fine finish after cutting inside from the left, but goals from Cristiano Ronaldo, Pepe and Karim Benzema eventually saw Madrid bag the full three points.

Pique inadvertently played a role in Madrid's equaliser from the penalty spot after handballing Marcelo's cross inside his own area, but he feels the rule should make allowances for whether or not the offence was deliberate.

"My handball? It was unintentional. I could not get my hand out of the way," the defender told reporters.

"It would be nice to know what the criteria is because it's true the ball touches my hand but I couldn't get it out of the way.

"He kicked the ball and I can't disappear. The ball hit my hand and the whistle was blown then.

"The referee didn't say anything. I threw myself to the ground to use my body and I couldn't put my hands behind my back."

Pique feels Barca could have achieved a better result had they been more clinical early on, but accepted Madrid were the better side in the second half.

"We started the game well and could have gone 2-0 up," he said.

"But in the end, I think that Madrid deserve their win based on the second half."

Luis Suarez made his official Barcelona debut on Saturday after a four-month ban and Pique felt the Uruguayan did well, with the 27-year-old providing the assist for the opener.

He continued: "Suarez was available again, so it was always an option that he could start. The coach opted to let him play from the start and I think he did a good job."

Barcelona still sit atop of La Liga with 22 points from nine games, but Madrid have closed to within one point in second place.

No comments:

Post a Comment