Follow @dailyspotnews Instagram Sport News: Welbeck: I've improved since I left Manchester United

Saturday 7 March 2015

Welbeck: I've improved since I left Manchester United


Welbeck: I've improved since I left Manchester United
The 24-year-old has scored just seven goals in 27 appearances for the Gunners this season and has regularly been shifted wide to accommodate Olivier Giroud

Danny Welbeck insists he has improved as a player since swapping Manchester United for Arsenal in a €20 million deal last summer.

The 24-year-old left Old Trafford in a bid to find more regular opportunities as a central striker, but has often played second fiddle to Olivier Giroud in north London this season, scoring just seven goals in 27 appearances in all competitions.

But Welbeck insists he is happy to play wherever Arsene Wenger puts him and believes he has made progress at Arsenal.

"I think it's gone okay," he told reporters. "I wish to do a lot more, definitely will do and it's something I want to build on and keep progressing.

"But I feel like I've improved. It's different going from one team to another, settling in and once you get past that stage you want to keep pushing on and get a second to none understanding with team mates on the pitch. Once you build that relationship on the pitch, things will only get better.

"There's so many good players at Arsenal. Obviously training every single day, you get to know them better. You get to know what they like to do, what side they like to go on, where to play passes through and so on.

"I play football, I can play across the front three positions, depending on who is available, what formation, coming up against different opponents. The manager is going to select who he thinks is best for the game.

"The last few weeks we've not spoken about different positions. Once I get out onto the pitch I will just give it 100 per cent."

Welbeck played just four minutes as a substitute in Premier League victories over Everton and QPR this week but Wenger is adamant the England international remains an important part of his plans.

"He's very important and has played many, many games since the start of the season," the Frenchman insisted on Friday. "I think he's played in nearly every single game. His position is one of the three up front, central, left of right. He can play anywhere.

"If you check the statistics, you will see he is one of the players who has played the most games for us - just not in the last couple of games.

"You can make an individual debate on every single player, that is always a possibility, but what is important is that you have moments in the season where some players play a bit less. Most of the time it's up front, because not every single player can play every game in the biggest part of the season.

"You have a player like Olivier Giroud, who is playing at the moment but he missed four months [of the season through injury]. During that period, Welbeck played every single game."

No comments:

Post a Comment