Follow @dailyspotnews Instagram Sport News: 'I lost my head' - Villas-Boas apologises for touchline row

Friday 20 March 2015

'I lost my head' - Villas-Boas apologises for touchline row

'I lost my head' - Villas-Boas apologises for touchline row
Zenit lost 1-0 to Torino in the second leg of their Europa League last-16 tie but still made it to the quarter-finals with 2-1 aggregate victory

Andre Villas-Boas has apologised for a touchline row with the Torino bench after Zenit edged past the Serie A side to reach the Europa League quarter-finals on Thursday.

The Russians reached the last eight of a European competition for the first time since 2008 - the year they won the old Uefa Cup – despite losing 1-0 to Torino in the second leg of their last-16 tie.

The 2-0 victory in the home leg proved decisive as Villas-Boas' men moved through 2-1 on aggregate, although there was a nervous moment when Fabio Quagliarella had an effort cleared off the line in stoppage time after Kamil Glik's 90th-minute opener.

Despite his side's progress, the former Chelsea and Tottenham boss was involved in an angry argument with the Torino bench at full-time, for which he moved to apologise after the game.

"I lost my head," Villas-Boas admitted to Sport Mediaset.

"I got it completely wrong and I apologise for my behaviour. I was angry with the Torino team manager, but it was not the behaviour of a coach and I am sorry."

On the match itself, the Portuguese tactician said it was not his intention to see his side play so defensively to hold on to their first-leg lead.

"It is not that we wanted to sit back that much, but we made mistakes when attacking and didn't make the most of the spaces," said Villas-Boas.

"We didn't play the way we intended to. Torino's pressing was more effective than in Russia and we were forced to play long balls from the goalkeeper.

"Defensively we did well and the goal we conceded at the end was a move out of desperation. Other than the final minutes, Zenit were pretty much in control throughout and our performance required character."

Torino coach Giampiero Ventura said the red card received by Marco Benassi early in the first leg in Russia had proven decisive to the tie's outcome.

"We pushed for 90 minutes, scored at the end, forced two goal-line clearances and had a goal disallowed," he said.

"If we had drawn the first leg 0-0 it would have been entirely understandable, but that red card ultimately proved decisive.

"I had already feared that the dismissal in the first leg would change the tie and in this game my theory was confirmed because Torino were entirely on a par with Zenit.

"I am sorry for the fans, as we saw the stadium packed and wanted to give them another great emotional night. We came close."

No comments:

Post a Comment