Follow @dailyspotnews Instagram Sport News: Guardiola: I can see myself at Manchester United

Friday 17 October 2014

Guardiola: I can see myself at Manchester United

Guardiola: I can see myself at Manchester United
Detailed in the new book Pep Confidential, it is revealed that the Bayern Munich coach spoke of an admiration for the 13-time Premier League champions before he quit Barcelona

Pep Guardiola has revealed that he would like to manage Manchester United at some point during his career.

The Bayern Munich coach has earned a reputuation as one of the best in football after winning 14 trophies - including three Primera Division titles and the Champions League twice - during a four-year spell with Barcelona.

The 43-year-old left Camp Nou in 2008 for a one-year sabbatical, during which time he was linked as a possible successor to Sir Alex Ferguson at Old Trafford.

In the book Pep Confidental written by journalist Marti Perarnau, a close friend to Guardiola, the coach recalled watching United beat Schalke in the Champions League.

Perarnau writes: "[Guardiola] was impressed [by Bayern's training facilities, Sabener Strasse] and told [assistant] Manuel Estiarte privately: 'I like this. I could see myself coaching here one day.'

"Pep had said something very similar a few months before, at Manchester United. The day after beating Real Madrid in the Champions League semi-final, Guardiola and Estiarte travelled to Manchester to watch their next opponents in action.

"It was May 4, 2011, and the pair sat together in the stands of Old Trafford watching Sir Alex Ferguson's team beat Schalke 4-1. Once again Pep had turned to his friend and said: 'I like this atmosphere. I could see myself coaching here one day.'

"Guardiola has always felt a deep admiration, almost veneration, for the legendary teams and players of Europe."



'Pep Confidential: The Inside Story of Pep Guardiola's First Season at Bayern Munich' is out now in paperback and ebook, published by BackPage Press / Arena Sport

No comments:

Post a Comment