Follow @dailyspotnews Instagram Sport News: Madrid taught me to always respect your opponent, says Benitez

Monday 24 June 2013

Madrid taught me to always respect your opponent, says Benitez

 Madrid taught me to always respect your opponent, says Benitez


The freshly appointed Napoli coach has fond memories of his time at the Spanish giants and has praised the club's values and morals

Rafa Benitez has stressed that his time at Real Madrid has played a key role in his coaching career as the Santiago Bernabeu side taught him to always be respectful toward your opponents.

The 53-year-old, recently appointed as Napoli coach, joined the Madrid youth academy at the age of 13 and returned to the club later in his career to join their coaching staff.

"I grew up at Real Madrid and the club taught me everything I know about football," Benitez told AS.

"I played there as a youngster and then returned to the club to learn the trade as a coach alongside Vicente del Bosque.

"I received my sporting education at Madrid. They taught me to always respect your opponent regardless of whether you won or lost.

"We all have our own style. I am talking about what I learned at the club during my time there. I always aim to be professional and respectful. That's how I was raised."

Benitez guided Chelsea to the Europa League title in 2012-13 after replacing Roberto Di Matteo in November 2012, but made way for Jose Mourinho at the end of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment