Follow @dailyspotnews Instagram Sport News: Barcelona will respect fair play - Beckenbauer

Tuesday 30 April 2013

Barcelona will respect fair play - Beckenbauer

 Barcelona will respect fair play - Beckenbauer


The Bayern legend has claimed that his recent declarations were misunderstood and believes the Catalans will not do anything against the rules

Franz Beckenbauer has apologised for his earlier comments that Barcelona will not hesitate to use dirty tricks in the second leg of their Champions League semi-final against Bayern Munich.

The Catalans contacted the Bavarian giants to seek clarification about the club's honorary president's comments and the German icon has now stressed in an official statement that he does not have any doubts that Barca will respect the principles of fair play.

"I apologise if what I said has been misunderstood. I only meant that Barca will do whatever it can to get to the final, but nothing against the rules," Beckenbauer stated.

"When I say they will do anything, I mean putting pressure on their rival – something that is commonplace on the pitch and which I myself used to do as a player and then as a coach.

"Barca are one of the biggest and most honest clubs in the world and have my full admiration. I'm convinced that fair play will prevail in Wednesday's match.

"Both teams will do their all and come out all guns blazing to try to reach the final – that's all I meant to say."

Barcelona were beaten 4-0 in the first leg at the Allianz Arena. Wednesday's return at Camp Nou is scheduled to kick off at 20:45CET.

No comments:

Post a Comment